In 1926, Lake Tapawingo was founded by the Lake Tapawingo Development Company as an "exclusive sports retreat and rest haven built on 315 beautiful rolling wooded acres." Since that first house was built in 1926, the community has grown to approximately 375 homes with a population of approximately 850 residents.
The City of Lake Tapawingo was officially formed in 1962 in order to prevent annexation by either Blue Springs or Independence. Since that time the community has aptly maintained its charm, appeal, and prosperity under the direction of the Lake Tapawingo Country Club and the City of Lake Tapawingo government.
Generation after generation of Tapawingo lake rats call our quaint community home. Many residents have lived here for decades, some a half century or more. Children, grandchildren and great grandchildren having returned to live where they grew up or where they visited grandparents during the summer. The personal connections run deep, and the stories are rich with history and colorful characters of generations past and present.